Massaman curry is a delectable and delicious Southern Thai with Indian influence curry. To make massaman curry, you would need Cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, bay leaves, combined with more local flavors such as dried chili peppers, cilantro seeds, lemongrass, galangal, white pepper, shallots and garlic.
Massaman curry is usually serve with rice or roti.
How to Cook Massaman Curry
- Add the oil in the pan and turn on to medium high heat.
- Add the curry paste and coconut cream and fry till fragrant.
- Add chicken and fry for about 30 seconds
- Then add all the ingredients, simmer about 10 minutes or till chicken is cooked
- Serve with roti or rice
Ingredients for Massaman Curry
- 2-4 tablespoons *curry paste
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced big sizes
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 cup chicken meat
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup potato cut into small pieces
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon gula melaka or honey
- 1 dried bay/curry leave
The secret recipe of massaman curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sliced cilantro roots
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons garlic
- 3-4 tablespoons sliced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 1 talespoon coriander seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons galangal (thai ginger)
- 1/2 kaffir lime skin (the rougher lime skin)
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup onions
- 10-15 dried chilli
How to make massaman curry paste
- Toast coriander, peppers, cloves, cumin in a pan till light brown, rougly one minute.
- Grind all the curry paste ingredients into powder