Nyonya Kueh – Kueh Salat made of glutinuous rice and pandan santan. Check out this pandan fragrant santan kueh.
Kueh seri Muka|kueh salat|nyonya kueh|kuih muih|salat kuih|kuih salat|delicious kueh salat Kueh seri muka is also known as kueh salat is a type of nyonya kueh .
Sweet top with glutinous rice at the bottom, this kueh is easy to make at home.
Ingredients for Nyonya Kueh – Kueh Salat or Kueh Seri Muka
Ingredients for the bottom layer of kueh salat or kueh seri muka
2 cups of glutinuous rice
2-3 knotted pandan leaves
20 gm of coconut milk
1 tablespoon of salt ( or to your taste, the glutinuous rice for kueh salat is usually slightly salty)
8-10 pcs of butterfly blue pea (for natural blue colouring to glutinuous rice) (optional as it is not easy to get these flowers and your glutinuous rice would still taste as good without)
Ingredients for the TOP layer of kueh salat or kueh seri muka
- 2 eggs
- 100gm sugar
- 250gm coconut milk
75gm pandan juice (yes cut the leaves and blend and sieve for juice)
- 80gm flour
- 45gm tapioca flour
How to Make Nyonya Kueh – Kueh Salat or Kueh Seri Muka
How to make the bottom layer of kueh salat or the glutinuous rice
- Soak glutinous rice for an hour
- Using a wok, Steam glutinous rice with a little bit of water and 2-3 knotted pandan leaves in medium heat
- Cook for about 20 minutes
- Separately heat up coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of salt(or to your taste) and butterfly blue pea to ensure the colour change (heating up is for the color change with butterfly blue pea, sieve the remaining of the flower stem) (no heating up is required if you do not have butterfly blue pea, just mix and stir well), butterfly blue pea are optional and are used to add the natural blue colouring to the rice.
- With a spoon, sprinkle the coconut milk mixture onto the glutinuous rice and mix well
- Boil for another 20 minutes or till cooked.
- When cooked and cool, remove the pandan leaves
- Place the glutinuous rice in a 2.5 inches height of 7.5 inches by 7.5 inches square tray
- Use a spoon to press down the glutinuous rice so that it is nicely placed at the bottom of the tray
- Put aside the cooked glutinuous rice, while you prepare the top layer
How to Make the Top Layer of the Kueh Salat
- Beat and mix 2 eggs and 100gm sugar
- Add a little salt Add 250gm santan juice and 75gm pandan juice (yes cut the leaves and blend and sieve for juice)
- Sieve and add 80gm flour and 45gm tapioca flour
- Mix well
- Make sure to sieve the mixture for smooth looking top layer
Combine Top & Glutinuous Layer
- Pour the top layer mixture onto glutinous rice tray and steam for another 30-40 minutes till cooked.
- When cool, cut the tray of kueh with sharp knife washed with hot/warm water.
Ready to serve on banana leaves(optional) Kueh salat or kueh seri muka taste wonderful with tea or coffee ☕️
If you are a fan of Nyonya Kueh – you may also like Kueh Ubi Bingka.